The initial phase of acclimation is often the hardest part of incarceration, but Michael handled his with grace and humor. Having just completed his first month in prison, he’s settled in to a minimum security unit with vegan meals, comfortable accommodations, and even limited cellphone access. He spends his days in prison much like he spent them at home: reading, writing, and thinking of ways to make the world awesome again. Notably, he seems to be adjusting to the plains winters like a champ…
“Another thing, I love seeing the snow, so beautiful when it's falling, so special and rare, silently floating around like a dream. I hope they give me a job shoveling it in the mornings, but you have to sign up for that, and wait your turn. People here get tired of shoveling snow, like it's not special or fun, so I hope to get moved up to the front of the line. Wish me luck!”
Of course, we’ve all been worried about Michael - but truly, he’s doing well. Recently, he was moved to the Missouri River Correctional Facility in North Dakota. This is where he will serve the remainder of his year-long sentence for shutting down the Keystone Pipeline. Let Michael know he is supported, and that his action inspires further action. Write him a letter and let him know what you’re doing to act on climate!
- Letters telling Michael the actions you are taking to Act on Climate
- Up to 20 standard sized photos
- Sender’s last name, street address or post office box number, city, state, and zip code.
- Pages considered as clippings, acceptable copies from the internet (no social media).
- Photocopies or other material not considered social or personal writing are limited to four pages.
- In an envelope with a legible and legitimate return address that includes
the your last name, street address or post office box number, city, state, and zip
- All Michael’s mail is read and reviewed for allowed content and “contraband” before he sees it.
- Please do not incriminate yourself or Michael in letters to him. Please do no discuss his case or write about any legal opinions or advice you may have.
- Michael cannot receive greeting cards, laminated paper, multiple copies of the same document, communications printed from social media sites, books, magazines, stamps, stickers, unused stationery, lottery tickets, or items of any kind. (See below for how to send Michael reading material from third party sellers).
- Please do not send checks or money orders to Michael. All funds to support Michael’s jail support are collected at: https://actionfund-climatedisobedience.nationbuilder.com/donate
- Don’t write about escape, sex, gangs, or violence. Don't decorate the envelope. Check out the ND Inmate Handbook for A LOT more detail.
- Must be brand new.
- Must be paperback.
- Must be sent via USPS.
- Must be sent via reputable publishers/booksellers (i.e. not independent sellers who work through, for example, Amazon. The book must be bought and shipped from Amazon the monolith, not a mom n' pop seller operating on their platform...). Check out Powell's as an alternative to Amazon, and make sure you're ordering a new paperback book, not a used book.
- Do not send more than 3 books at a time. Guidelines suggest no more than ten per month.
- There are a lot of prisoners without the support Michael has, check out www.bookstoprisoners.net and consider donating to the longest running project of it's kind organized through Seattle's own Left Bank Books.
Michael Foster, #51974
Missouri River Correctional Center
P.O. Box 5521
Bismarck, ND 58506