Jail support for Michael Foster, a year starting 2/6/2018
What you can do - Make a Pledge to Act on Climate
Recently Michael said, “If there’s something you can do, do it now”. Be creative, and dig deeply…the idea of this pledge is to use his sacrifice as inspiration for a real commitment to deep change. It’s not just prison–for years, Michael has woken up every day committed to working for climate stability. We can’t all dedicate so much time, but given the stakes, and given the price he’s paying, maybe we can all do more. If your time is truly limited, here are some suggestions to get you going:
- Call your legislators to demand bold climate action! In Michael’s State of WA, there are suggestions here and here for those calls—and Michael would like to add that for SB 6203, they should integrate science-based targets in line with Hansen’s climate math.
- Plant trees or donate to organizations that are planting trees. Here’s a video from Michael.
- Donate to the legal support fund for the Valve Turners.
- Reduce your carbon emissions at least 10% per year. Michael would especially love it if he inspired you not to fly when you otherwise would have!
Michael asks that we use every strike of your pen to fight climate change! So plant a tree and contact your legislator then write Michael and tell him how you acted on climate.
- Letters telling Michael the actions you are taking to Act on Climate
- Up to 20 standard sized photos
- Sender’s FULL NAME, street address or post office box number, city, state, and zip code.
- Pages considered as clippings, acceptable copies from the internet (no social media).
- Photocopies or other material not considered social or personal writing are limited to four pages.
- All Michael’s mail is read and reviewed for allowed content and “contraband” before he sees it.
- Please do not incriminate yourself or Michael in letters to him. Please do no discuss his case or write about any legal opinions or advice you may have.
- Michael cannot receive greeting cards, laminated paper, multiple copies of the same document, communications printed from social media sites, books, magazines, stamps, stickers, unused stationery, lottery tickets, or items of any kind.
- Please do not send checks or money orders to Michael. All funds to support Michael’s jail support are collected at: https://actionfund-climatedisobedience.nationbuilder.com/donate
- Don’t write about escape, sex, gangs, or violence. Don't decorate the envelope. Check out the ND Inmate Handbook for a lot more detail.
In love and Solidarity,
the Climate Direct Action Team
Michael Foster, #51974
Missouri River Correctional Center
P.O. Box 5521
Bismarck, ND 58506